BMW Performance Electronic Steering Wheel Description
Fully wrapped in Alcantara to provide excellent grip in extreme driving situations, the BMW M Performance Steering Wheel provides a sporty cockpit appearance and feel. Incorporated into the wheel is a OLED display screen providing a variety of information to the driver depending on the mode selected, and multicolored colored LED’s indicating optimal shift points.
For more information about the BMW Performance Electronic Steering Wheel watch the video at the bottom of this page.
Driver may select one of three modes:
- Real-time fuel efficiency data
- Average fuel economy and average speed
- Water and oil temperature (water temperature only in diesel cars)
- Fuel efficient shift points via LED shift lights
- EfficientDynamics Index (“EDI”) calculation
- Built-in stopwatch
- G-force meter for longitudinal and lateral acceleration
- Water and oil temperature
- Multicolored LED (red and green) shift lights for optimal performance
- Stopwatch with storage of values of up to 30 laps (lap time, max speed, max G-force)
- Measurement of up to nine section times within each lap
- 1/4 Mile Race Settings
- “XMAS” tree LED light countdown
- Reaction time
- 60’ time
- 330’ time
- 1,000’ time
- 1/8 mile times
- 1/4 mile times
- Trap speeds
- BMW 128 135 (2008 onwards)
- BMW 1M (2011)
- BMW 325 330 Sedan (2006)
- BMW M3 Coupe & Convertible (2006)
- BMW 328 335 Sedan (2007-2011)
- BMW 328 335 Coupe & Convertible (2007-2012
- BMW M3 Sedan (2008-2011)
- BMW M3 Coupe & Convertible (2008-2012)
Optional Transmitter & Receiver
The infrared transmitter/receiver is optional and can be used with the electronic steering wheel to automatically and accurately record lap times.
Alcantara Steering Wheel Cover
To complete the installation consider adding a matching BMW Performance Alcantara Center Steering Wheel Cover
- BMW states that this steering wheel is not compatible with DCT equipped cars, however we have installed and tested this wheel on a DCT M3 and it does in fact work. The cut-outs on the back of the steering wheel that house the paddle shifters are slightly larger than the DCT switches, however everything still bolts up tight and secure. All electronics work as well.
- If the vehicle has option code S248 the heated steering function will no longer be active after installation.
- Air bag unit and multifunction buttons can be carried over from sport or M sport steering wheels but cannot be carried over from basic standard steering wheel.
- This transmitter/receiver is not approved for street use.
- Any damage to the vehicle resulting from use in a competitive event may void all or portions of the vehicle’s BMW Limited Warranty.